Friday, December 18, 2009

Geocaching: 2 Found, 1 DNF

Went out about 10:00 AM to get a bit of exercise and see if I could find a couple of geocaches.

Started today's adventure with Annie Oak Leaf.  I wasn't able to find it yesterday but today armed with rather more study and a photo clue I decided to have another go.  Success after a bit more searching.  The cache was VERY well hidden and as the description notes NOT Winter friendly if there is snow on the ground.  Here's a link to the photos and videos I took.  To see the videos you'll need to click and go to the Picasa Web album.



Flush with success I went off to Brianna's 1st.  Parking was very easy and the cache was only about 600' or so away so off I went.  This one threw me a bit of a curve.  I thought for a bit that the cache was on top of the rock.  So I hiked up there and looked around.  While at it my GPS hung up and the buttons becam unresponsive.  I pulled the batteries.  Even so the unit continued to beep and click.  After a bit it seemed to settle down so I put the batteries back in and started it up again.  Along the way the compass hung and I recalibrated it.  I'm not sure the PN-40 is all that I'd hoped.  Interestingly there was a bunch of limbs stacked on top of the rock.  Of course the cache wasn't there.  Eventually I went down to the front of the rock and after a bit of searching found it.  Here are the photos and videos I took.  Click to see the videos.


With two successes and not enough exercise for the day I decided to try Pine Cone Palace.  This was a bit of a walk in but nearby.  Unfortunately I DNF!  I'll have to study it more closely and try again.  I did find where I thought it was buy try as I might didn't find the cache itself.  Here are the photos and videos I took. Click to see the videos.


Today's geocaching was the longest yet, about 3.25 miles.  By the time I got home at 2PM I was a bit tired and cold.  Took a steam bath to warm up and then had a hearty lunch of open faced chicken sandwich.  All in all a good deal of exercise and I'll have to admit to being a bit tired.

No comments: