Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Caching and errands

Left the house about 10 or so to go caching and run some errands.  It's cold, around 20F, and windy with gusts to 40 or so.  When the wind blows its VERY cold.  When it's still it's not to bad.

Decided to go to the area around Cambridge Res.  There are a large number of caches there and I'd hope to get my 25th. 

First attempt was Reservoir Runner - Starting Point.  Found the wall easily but there was a muggle cleaning the walks and parking lot so I didn't actually look.  There was some sign of others recently there.

From there I went to  Reservoir Runner II.  Found the site easily, parked, and walked along the retaining wall next to the water.  The ground was frozen and a bit slippery plus I left my gloves in the car.  I looked for a bit but did not find it.  0 for 2.  Not a good start.

Then on to  Reservoir Runner.  Unfortunately, it was NOT in my GPS because it's a micro!  Things are just not going well.

Off to  Reservoir Runner - Scenic View.  Drove into industrial area but no parking!  I should have parked back where I was.  Now at 0 for 4 getting to 25 seems rather doubtful.

Undaunted I tried  HD Handyman's Hope Chest.  There were MANY muggles about and the area was covered in trash.  I walked about a bit but decided against a real search.  0 for 5!

Still undaunted I decided to try Hobbs, Maggie Thora and  Casey, Tigger, & Ella.  At last success.  From there I went on to  Alaska & Guinness.  Another success.  This is an interesting area.  While I was there I ran into 4 groups of dogs being walked.  They were all very friendly and happy being out in the cold and wind.  I'm less sure the people were.  At any event here are some videos of the adventure.  Remember to click through if you want to see the videos.

Boyed by some successes I decided to go on to sacajawea610.  Another success and quick find.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.  But I did wave as instructed to in the cache.  I'd planned to go on to  Central Mass RR Truss Bridge but as I was walking along the old train right of way the wind howeled between the ridge and office buildings.  It was more than I was willing to endure so I gave it up and decided to find a less windy area.  I'll go back on a less windy day.

Since I was in the area I decided to try  Just Off The Beaten Path.  It was a bit of a problem to get to because of the one way roads in Lincoln.  But I managed and found it.  Here's the video.

With just one to go to get to 25 I made a try for  RESERVOIR RUNNER IV, Turnaround Point.  I managed to park OK but didn't find the cache in a wall absolutely littered with hides.  It may have been on the other side but I was reluctant to cross the wall since it looked like private property.

At this point I was about frozen and a bit hungry so I headed back toward Sudbury.  Along the way I stopped at the library to pick up BB's books and then the grocer to get some things.  Afterward I decided to drive by X marks the spot to checkout parking.  Under ideal conditions there might be some but it would be VERY tight.

By now I was very hungry and went home to eat and thaw out.

No comments: