Thursday, January 21, 2010

Went 'City' caching in Framingham today to see what it was like.  It was a bit of a mixed bag.  I found most of what I was looking for but did not enjoy it as much as a more natural setting.  Here's what I attempted:

  • “Childhood Park” – Parking lot not plowed so didn’t attempt
  • “None Shall Pass” – Park and grab
  • “This Little Piggy Went to Market” – Another park and grab but hidden a bit differently from the other “Piggy” caches
  • “Dale 14” – Park and grab. Another of the Dale series.
  • “Get Your Butter’s Worth” – Yet another park and grab 
  • “Learned Pond” – Parking lot closed so didn’t attempt. Poor on street parking.
  • “I can see my house from here!” – Park and grab but DNF.
  • “Farm Pond Trail” & “Launchpad” – Short walk from good winter parking at Cushing Chapel
"Childhood Park" should have been an easy park and grab.  Unfortunately, Framingham doesn't generally plow the parking for their parks.  Parking was a bit down hill through 6" of icy wet snow.  Not good for my Mazda 3 so I didn't attempt this.  Perhaps in the spring.

"None Shall Pass" was next up.  There was good winter parking in the adjacent commercial area and the coordinates were spot on.  The cache was fairly visible and quickly found.  Log book was a bit damp from the recent rain and melt but otherwise OK.  SL.  TFTC.

"This Little Piggy Went to Market" - I'd done a number of these and this one was just across RT 9 from NSP so off I went.  It was a quick park and grab with good winter parking.  Despite the public location there weren't many muggles about since it was on the side of the grocer.  SL.  TFTC.

"Dale #14" - I've done a number of these.  Always moving.  This one is at a veterans memorial in Framingham next to one of the Framingham courts.  Good winter parking.  The find took a bit of digging as it was frozen in the recent wet snow.  SL.  TFTC.

"Get Your Butter's Worth" - This was something of a treat.  Butterworth Park is a lovely little park in Framingham with a nice open wood where the cache is located.  I cheated and parked at a nearby apartment as the park's parking wasn't plowed (see above).  It was only a short walk in and the cache was an easy find.  This is a great kids cache with some nice trade items.  SL.  TFTC.

"Learned Pond" - One of the nice things about caching in the city is that there are often many nearby caches.  Unfortunately, this was another of those not plowed parks so I didn't attempt it.

"I can see my house from here!" - Good near by winter parking in commercial areas.  I used the hospital's visitors lot.  The cache is only a short walk.  Unfortunately I was unable to locate it although I did dig about a bit with a stick through the former contents of someone's stomach.  Rather off putting.

"Farm Pond Trail" - This was only a short drive away.  I was able to park easily at Cushing Chapel.  From there it's only about a quarter mile to the cache.  It's a nice park with reasonable walking trails.  I found the cache easily enough.  SL.  TFTC.

"Launchpad" - This cache is only about another quarter mile along the trail.  Despite the 'city' character of this park I only met one muggle while walking.  This was a good hide but the coordinates were spot on.  SL.  TFTC.

All in all I've mixed feelings about 'city' caching.  I found some caches.  That's fun.  But it was mostly about driving from one to another.  Not being able to park at a couple was a bit frustrating particularly as they appeared to be nice parks.  The business at "I can see my house from here!" was not nice but I suppose that comes with city caching.  I may try again since one experience is hardly a fair sample.  We'll see.

Here are the photos from this adventure.  If you want to see the larger images you need to click through.  No spoilers.

No comments: