Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Geocaching trying to get to 50

Went out geocaching on a clear and somewhat warmer day.

I started at This one's for the cowboys.  I generally shy away from micro caches because I can't seem to find them.  But this one was recently found among several others in the area so I decided to give it a try as I'd had luck with a similar cache.  It's an easy park and grab that I managed to find after only a few minutes (I'm still not used to micro caches).  The cache log was full so I logged on a slip of paper and left it in the cache.  SL.  TFTC.


Flush with some success I went on to The Eagle's Nest.  This was about 600 yards from good parking so I walked in.  It was an interesting walk in along a brook on the side of a hill.  The trail was well trod with generally moderat hills.  Unfortunatly occassionally it was a bit slick with some ice.  The cache was about 30 minutes from the trail head and a reasonably easy find.  There was some recent beaver activity notably a fairly large tree that was nearly cut through.  I signed the log and improved the cache hide a bit as it was very visible.  It may make sense to move the cache before spring as the beaver activity will draw muggle attention.


2009 Boston Red Sox Roster Series - Hideki Okajima was just down RT 20 a bit so I stoped there.  This was another micro that I found although it was a bit of a commedy of errors.  I started by getting the wrong set of baseball fields, parking in the wrong lot, moving to another wrong lot, following some tracks I thought were headed toward the cache, realizing they were the wrong ones, walking through the snow to get back to the car, and moving to the right baseball fields.  I really must remember to look at the GPS more carefully.  Once at the right location the cache was a quick find and I signed the log.


I then continued down RT 20 to DALE #1 (NORTHBOROUGH).  This is another micro park and grab.  There were tracks of a recent search and I checked the hint but DNF.  It's a bit of a shame as the veterans memorial was interesting and I would have like to sign the log.


Still further down RT 20 is NNNNN.  This was another DNF notwithstanding someone else finding it yesterday!  But not me, not today.


Despite 2 successive DNFs I continued on to Heavy Metal Cache.  I missed the parking turnoff on the first pass and ended up at Ski Ward.  It's a rather small local area a bit like Nashoba where I taught for a while.  I turned around and drove back.  Parking was good but the road in a bit rough.  It was a short hike to the cache and a quick find.  Took a TB and left a TB.  The cache was VERY visible so I added a bit of cover.


Boyed by another find, I drove to Luna Moth.  Nothwithstanding the cache hint, the cache is actually reasonably easy to find in the winter.  Parking was good and it was a easy walk to the canoe launch and cache.  There was an interesting view of the flood control dike and dam on the way out of the parking lot.


It was getting late (almost 2PM) and I was hungery.  I decided to try Robin Hill Cemetery Cache.  This was one of those places I would never have visited without geocaching.  I parked in the industrial lot and walked over to the cemetary.  Old New England cemetaries are interesting on many levels as they tell us much about our history.  In any event I walked in over the rise - very windy to the point that the snow was blown off.  Once I crested the hill, I could see the entire cemetary.  Curiously, there were not many graves, particularly for an old cemetary.  I could also see the tracks of a recent find and followed them to the cache.  It was an easy find, very child friendly.  I signed the log and rehid the cache.


By now, I was hungry and decided to head home.  Six for 8 for the day.  Moving me toward the 50 mark.

No comments: