Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dentist and geocaching

I had to go to the dentist today so I was off to Chelmsford, Ma where I lived before moving to Sudbury.  There were recent finds in the area and I'd hoped to get to 50+ caches.  I DID!  Here is where I went

Tick Free 8 - DNF This is in the parking lot for Kimbal Farm (Ice Cream).  Unfortunately I did not find it.
DALE #6 (CHELMSFORD) - After visiting the dentist I started my Chelmsford tour here.  I'd tried another DALE cache yesterday but DNF.  Today I had better luck.  I used to live in Chelmsford and have been to this memorial several times.  It's moving and there's good parking at the town services parking lot.
Get your motor runnin' - This was back toward town center and near a resturant with GREAT hash early in the week.  If they have left over prime rib it ends up in the hash.  Alas, by today it was gone so lunch had to be elsewhere.  The Dunkin Donuts was being renovated and was closed.  I looked anyway but DNF.
2009 Boston Red Sox Roster Series - David Ortiz - This one was at the Little League ball fields.  It was a quick walk in and I found it with only a little searching.  I signed the log with frozen hands as best I could as the wind was blowing hard across the fields.
Light of the lot - This was an interesting cache.  I parked and looked around without success.  Then grabbed some lunch at the Deli (very good) and looked again.  Much to my surprise I found it.  This has got to be about as small as a cache can get.  I had some trouble putting the log back in the cache since my hands were still cold and stiff but finally managed to get everything back together after taking it to the car and warming up.  Check out the video on this one.  It's something.
BURIAL GROUND WATERFALL - Considerably psyced by the nano, I went to a series along Bruce Freeman Rail Trail - I walked in along a well traveled level path and found the general location quickly.  Unfortunately the cache on on the E (RT 27) side of Beaver Brook.  There is a stone structure that can be walked but where the brook crosses it's VERY icy and clearly unsafe at least in winter.  Since there were other caches further along I decided to move along and come back to try from the other side.
Austin Powers Geocache Series - Just a bit further along is another cache just off the trail.  Some care was necessary as Beaver Brook floods in winter and there is a lot of ICE much of it thin with water underneath.  I generally cache with a ski pole and it came in handy probeing to find good ground.  I signed the log.
James Bond Geocache Series - This is just a bit further along the trail.  My GPS was jumping around 40' one way then another (could be low batteries) and for a while I thought the cache was on the west side of the brook.  Using the hint I checked out a number of likely locations and succeeded in finding the hide.  I took the Giacinta 'Jinx' Johnson film container and will try to setup my first cache in Chelmsford.  I'll need to find a bit of help from a local to manage it as I don't get there often enough to do so.  By now I was getting fairly cold again so I decided to hike back to the car.
BURIAL GROUND WATERFALL - I drove around to try this cache from the other (RT 27) side of Beaver Brook.  Parking at 42.595135,-71.353358.  This is a commercial building where I once had offices and should generally be useable.  The trail head is just a few hundred feet S and from there it's a short walk to the hide.  I found the cache fairly quickly.
Quick Pitstop - Southbound - By now I was in need of a pit stop as I'd been drinking coffee to help keep warm so I stoped here and after a bit of looking found this cache.  There were many people coming and going but no one seemed to care.  I graped the contrainer, signed the log in the car, and then quickly re hid the cache.

With 7 for 9 for the day it was time to head home.  I'll be back this way in a few weeks to visit the dentist again and will try some of the others nearby.  Here's the video for the for this adventure.  NO SPOILERS.  Remember to click through if you want to see the videos.


No comments: