Sunday, January 31, 2010

Geocaching Lincoln and Concord Ma

BB went out shopping and I took some time to look for some caches in Lincoln and Concord Ma. that were recently found. 

Birt memorial - Found it.  I started with this today.  There is great winter parking at N42° 24.8978' W71° 19.5674'.  Short walk to cache over well trod trails.  I tried at GZ but didn't find.  After walking back to the car I checked the hint walked back and found cache about 30' from GZ at N42° 24.9844' W71° 19.6401'.  Neat winter friendly hide but even on a cold and occasionally windy day there were many muggles about.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Witch Tree Cache - Found it.  Parked just off of Sandy Pond Rd at N42° 25.7827' W71° 19.0637' in a reasonably used area.  There is also parking at a trail head just a bit further N on Sandy Pond Rd. Quick walk in over well trod trails with the Witch Tree easily found.  Cache coordinates appear to be off.  I found it at N42° 25.7953' W71° 19.1548'.  The cache was in generally good order but the log was fairly wet and there was some ice inside the container.  Cache would be a challenge in deeper snow.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Waldon Pond's friend - Found it.  Reasonably near by so I drove over and parked at Waldon Pond.  $5 parking a bit off putting and there isn't much choice although I suspect there are trails through from Witch Tree.  Parked near toilets adjacent to lot E which provides good access to trail at N42° 26.4607' W71° 19.9482' that cuts behind park buildings and connects with service road leading to water facility (pressure for Concord system?).  Road is well trod but steep and occasionally icy.  A bit of care though and it's a reasonably, albeit challenging, uphill walk.  Near the top I noticed tracks toward the cache GZ.  I walked in and easily found the cache at N42° 26.3170' W71° 19.7397'.  The hike would be tough in the snow but the cache itself is reasonably winter friendly.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Pine Hill's Friend - Found it.  While I was on top of the hill I walked just a bit further to Pine Hill's Friend.  The trail was well trod and easily followed to the cache.  I noticed some tracks leading toward GZ from a previous cacher and followed those to the cache at N42° 26.1989' W71° 19.6643'.  Cache was in generally good order but the log was frozen and there was some evidence of water inside.  Cache would be tough in deeper snow but was easily found today.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Walk out down the road was MUCH easier than walk up and I managed it with only a few slips on ice and no falls.

Carrier Cache - Found it.  This was just across Rt 2 so I drove over to see if I could make it 5 for 5 for the day.  There is good winter parking on the end of Sandy Pond Rd at N42° 26.8552' W71° 19.7089'.  The trail is well trod.  After a bit I noticed some tracks headed away from GZ.  I followed these in and got to GZ easily.  The previous cacher had looked at several places in the area and I checked them as well without finding it.  In reading recent finds I noticed on log that mentioned that the cache was 20 meters from GZ.  I started checking at that distance and quickly found the cache at N42° 26.8862' W71° 19.9686'.  Snow would be an issue but today the location was obvious.  The cache was in good order.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Five for five for today, yea!  Good fun on a bright but somewhat cold and windy winter day.

Here are today's photos.  As usual click through to see full size versions.  No spoilers.

No comments: