Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Errands and caching

Went out to run some errands today.  Droped a check off at the bank and BB's book at the library, then drove over to Boxborough to do some caching.  Had good luck with 6 found even in the snow.  I took a different approach and only looked for those found in the last 7 days on the theory that these are likely there and can be found in the snow.

I started with Boxborough Bug Hotel.  Parking at the Holiday Inn was great and it was a short walk through reasonable snow to the cache.  It was a reasonably easy find with only a little digging around.  There were lots of K9 tracks but no people evident.  Signed the log and picked up a travel bug (BMAFXP Chuck E Cheese).  Left Skiing for a Cache LSY1YA.  Short walk back to the car to drive to parking at the other end of the hotel, it's big.  Here are the photos. Remember to click through to see videos.

I moved the car and then went on to Gas Saver XII, Boxborough Hills, and Take me to the highway.  This turned out to be a bit of a hike through somewhat deep snow.  Snowshoes are definitely called far if there is any significant cover.  The walk was interesting with many deer tracks and a few K9.  Also found a deer bed and some skat.  As I didn't see any obvious trails I just bushwacked following the GPS.  It was generally fairly easy going (except for the hills and some slipery rocks).  I was able to find all three reasonably easy and picked up another travel bug (Light my way) that I'll move along to the next interesting cache I visit.  Here are the videos.

Flush with 4 finds and after warming up after the half mile walk back to the car I noticed that Gas n' Joe was nearby.  A cup of coffee seemed called for so I parked in the store lot and walked over to the cache.  It was a quick find but protected by some serious thorns that caught on my clothing.  Here are the photos.  Click through to see videos.

Warmed from a quick find and not ready to stop I decided to do another that I'd planned, Hidden Beaver.  This turned out to be a delightful little walk from good parking along well trod paths.  The cache was a fairly quick find and make it 6 for the day.  Here are the photos.  Click through to see videos.

Time for a bit of lunch and to rest this old man's legs after 3 miles of walking in the snow, much of it deep and some up hill.  But it's all good as part of my retirement health program.

No comments: