Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Flue shot and geocaching

I went out today to get an H1N1 flu shot (Wallgreens) and do a bit of geocaching.  It's interesting to note that Lahey still doesn't have vacine!  That speaks rather poorly to them as a PCP.

I started by trying to find Callahan North Supply Station.  There is good parking just a 100 yds or so from the trail.  The coordinates are just off one of the Callahan trails.  I looked at the GPS position without success.  I also checked around where the clue indicated (about 80' away) also with no success.  It was a bit overcast so perhaps the GPS was off.  I loged it as a DNF.

From there I tried Callahan South Supply Station.  Ditto.  Parking was good and this should be an easy find but after checking where the clue indicated and where the GPS indicated it was a DNF.

Finally I tried  Dogs Gone Wild.  Again parking was good and the cache nearby but despite the clue and tracks from another cacher I had no luck.  Interestingly my GPS indicated a different location than the other cacher based on their tracks.

Zero for three for the day I drove home as my feet were beginning to get chilled.  Along the way I checked out parking for Return to Tradition #8: Henry's Hill Hybrid and X marks the spot.  There simply isn't any winter parking.

After I got home I defined a pocket query that will search for caches within 10 miles found in the last week.  This should make it a bit easier to succeed in winter caching since there is some reason to believe that the cache exist and is findable in the snow.

Spent the afternoon reading.

No comments: