Thursday, January 28, 2010

Geocaching Littleton and Hudson

Was in Chelmsford, Ma today visiting dentist and decided to try a couple of caches along the way.  Here's what today's adventure was before snow really got started and I headed home to get some lunch:


Tick Free -  Found it.  I'd tried this one a few weeks ago.  Since then my nano finding skills have improved with a couple of successful finds.  So I decided to try again.    It was another of those 'button' style nanos.  They are REALLY small.  Took a bit of doing to get the log back in the container but I finally managed it.  SL/TFTC. 

James Bond Series - Octopussy - Found it.  This is only a short walk from Tick Free.  There was some unbelievably slick ice in the parking area but after that things got fairly easy.  Found the cache quickly in a reasonable winter hide.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Castle In The Trees - Found it.  This was just down the road a bit and seemed like an easy find.  Parking was good and the cache was only a short walk.  When I got past the tennis courts I found a town service area of some sort with stunningly large snow banks. I found my way through and bushwacked through open forest to GZ.  It may be a bit off as I found the cache at N42 32.4570 W071 29.0637.  It was frozen in the ground (not winter friendly with snow) but I was able to free it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Gas Saver I - DNF.  This was nearby so I checked it.  Got to GZ without issue but DNF after a fairly careful check of the area.

Firefighter's Exercise Trail - Found it.  I'd previously tried this one but without success.  I returned today since the ground was clear of snow.  Parking today was easy along Sudbury/Hudson Rd at N42 23.710 W071 28.287.  Got to GZ easily but after a search nearby didn't see it.  Just before leaving I checked a bit further afield and found at N42 23.74.88 W071 28.3489.  Cache was frozen into ground but I was able to free it.  Not winter friendly.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Beyond the Stream  - DNF.  Muggled?  I've visited this site on several occasions with snow on the ground without success.  Flush with success from Firefighter's and clear ground I tried again.  The well trod trail is icy in spots but it is a quick walk in.  I searched the area within about 120' of GZ carefully using the hint without success.  Given the traffic I'd not be surprised if it had been muggled.

After giving up again on Beyond the Stream I walked out as the snow started falling a bit heavily.  All in all a good caching day.  Here are the adventure's photo's.  As usual no spoilers.  Click through if you want to see full size images.

No comments: