Monday, January 4, 2010

Geocaching

Went out geocaching to get some exercise and find my 25th.

Started at Zamboni's Hideaway.  This was almost a park and grab.  Great parking in the lot for the ice rink.  Short somewhat steep downhill walk to the cache area.  Today it was rather slipery with snow, ice, and hidden rocks.  The GPS was jumping around a fair bit.  I ended up digging out several wrong places.  Eventually I turned off the GPS and then back on.  This seemed to settle it down a good deal and took me to the rock wall where the cache is hidden.  Found it after only a little looking underneath some loose rock.  Here are the videos.  Click to see the actual video.

Then I went on to The Grove.  This one was a bit more of a challenge.  There were some tracks from the parking lot headed toward the cache.  Unfortunately, the tracks lead to a stream that seperated the parking from the cache.  The crossing was down by the pond.  So I ended up walking down to the pond to get across the stream.  A bit further along there were tracks going off toward the cache so I followed these.  This worked well untill I came to a water filled low area.  My GPS suggested the cache was on the other side.  I hiked around to the other side but now the GPS said it was on the original side.  I ended up circling back to where I'd started were the cache was in fact located!  Here are the videos.

I went on to try to find a couple of others - Train Rock (doubtful parking) and Jaws of the Monster (good parking but I'll need skis to get in).  By then it was getting a bit late so I drove home.

I had a bit of a brain freeze and managed to delete the tracks for these!

No comments: