Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Great Brook geocaching adventure

Went to Great Brook for an afternoon of geocaching.  Here's the log:

Listing Date Log Type
Waypoint Type Austin2Boston 17 November 2010 13:21:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Summer Cottage for Let 17 November 2010 13:44:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Wolf Den 12 17 November 2010 14:11:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Cobra Den 17 November 2010 14:22:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Feel Sorry 17 November 2010 14:23:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Yet Another GBF Cache 17 November 2010 14:36:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Ranger Smith 17 November 2010 14:52:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Gas Saver IX 17 November 2010 15:04:00 Didn't find it Didn't find it
Waypoint Type Swamp Monster 17 November 2010 15:21:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Lowell, aka Second Mass 17 November 2010 15:36:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type A Million Bucks! 17 November 2010 15:47:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type This was Cache Me If You Can 17 November 2010 16:04:00 Found it Found it

Found 11 and DNF 1!

Great Brook State Forest is a really interesting place.  When I lived nearby in Chelmsford I use to run and ski in the area frequently.  I parked at the cross country ski barn.  There's a $2 parking fee now but if you're a senior you can get a free state parking pass.  I stopped by the park HQ and picked one up.  Had a nice conversation with the state ranger on duty.  Then it was off to caching along this route.

Route and profile
Austin2Boston It was a fairly short walk into "Austin2Bostin."  It took a bit of looking to find the cache with a recent deadfall in the way.  With last night's rain the footing was a bit dodgy but I climbed around and looked until I found it.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

First find up here somewhere.  Lots of rocks in NE.
From 2010-11-17

Summer Cottage for Let  was my next stop.  It rained briefly along the way but not hard.  Good thing as I'd decided to leave my rain gear in the car.  As usual I chose the wrong trail and ended up bushwhacking to GZ.  Neat view!  A bit of searching found the cache.  Took a few minutes to explore the "cottage."  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

The cottage.  A bit rough.
From 2010-11-17

Feel Sorry was my next stop today.  Did another bit of bushwhacking after yet again choosing the wrong trail.  Found the cache quickly enough.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

Wolf Den 12 was my next stop.  Another wrong trail and another bit of bushwhacking.  I found it quickly and took a moment to enjoy the nearby pond.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

Cobra Den was next along the route.  It was a quick find across a new (to me) bridge.  The state has done some really nice work on the trails since I lived in Chelmsford and it's easy, if a bit confusing, to hike the various trails.  Just a bit further along the trail I happened along a small group of Mallards.  Very nice.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

Mallards along the way
From 2010-11-17

Yet Another GBF Cache Was next along my route.  It was another quick find.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

Ranger Smith Was my next stop.  I've always liked this area with the nice private cabin and the old mill pond.  I had to look a bit to find the cache with a bit of GPS bounce in this area.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

The cabin
From 2010-11-17

Down stream from the dam
From 2010-11-17

Gas Saver IX This is just on the other side of the road and should have been a quick find.  Unfortunately, DNF!  I checked using the clue rather thoroughly so I suspect it's gone.

Swamp Monster After my one DNF for the day this was an interesting cache.  Like previous finds I was on the wrong side of the water and had to hike around to get to the cache.  Unfortunately I neglected to take pictures as this is a neat site and the cache is in plain view.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

Lowell, aka Second Mass It was getting late but when I read the description and realized this is the second oldest Mass cache I made an extra effort to find this one.  It was well hidden but didn't take overlong to find.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

A Million Bucks! I was trying to get back to my car before dark but this was along the way so I took a moment to stop.  TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

This was Cache Me If You Can On the way back to the car I walked past this one and took a moment to find it. TFTC/SL/TN/left geocards.

From here it was a reasonably quick walk back to the car.

As usual I took lots of photos.  Here's the slide show.  You can click through to see the album.

No comments: