Friday, November 19, 2010

Geocaching near home.

Geocaches come in several different flavors. Traditional caches are the simplest. The cache is hidden at the specified coordinates. Go there, find it, sign the log and done. There are a number of others. The two I found today were a mystery cache and a multistage cache.

Listing Date Log Type
Waypoint Type A Dozen Dozen Tracks 19 November 2010 13:52:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Nobscot Breeder Cache 19 November 2010 14:37:00 Found it Found it

A Dozen Dozen Tracks is a mystery cache.  You need to solve a mystery or puzzle to find the cache.  I don't do many of those since I seem to be puzzle challenged.  But this one I'd actually solved some while ago to get to stage one but never actually took the time.  Today seemed like a good day so off I went.  The stage one Sudbury Valley Trustee property isn't listed anywhere that I could find but I'd driven by it several times on my way to Callahan park.  When I got to stage one I met a nice lady clearing a bit of brush from the property.  It turned out that she maintains the land which was a gift to the Trustees from her family.  We had a nice chat and when I mentioned geocaching she asked me about something she'd noticed on one of the trees.  She took me over and there was the stage one container big as you'd like.

Stage one From 2010-11-19

After a bit of effort I got the coordinates out and was on my way.  I'd never hiked this Trustee land before so off I went.  I found the cache lying in the open.  After signing the log I put the cache back and covered it.  The cache is full of interesting trade goods.

Route to final From 2010-11-19

The hike back out to my car went quickly.  Unfortunately, when I got to my car I realized that I no longer had my bag of trade goods!  After a bit of internal debate I decided to move along to Nobscot Breeder and come back later to retrieve my trade goods.


Nobscot Breeder Cache I drove around to parking for Breeder.  BB and I had tried to find this cache once during the winter without success.

Route to Breeder and back to Dozen to fetch trade goods. From 2010-11-19

When I got to stage one I found it reasonably quickly.  This is really a summer only cache.  I don't think stage one could be found in the snow.

Not really something one could find in snow! From 2010-11-19

Armed with the final coordinates I walked along.  Found the cache well enough but didn't open as I've bad knees and am somewhat claustrophobic.

On my hike in I realized that the white blaze trail I passed was the trail that goes past "Dozen."  It was still fairly early so I decided to walk in from where I was.  It's a nice hike although about twice as far.  Sure enough I'd put my bag of trade goods in "Dozen."  I retrieved it and walked back out.

Here's a slide show of today's photos.

No comments: