Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bike project 1

I've had an opportunity recently to ride a couple of recumbent bikes.  To say that they are an improvement over traditional bikes is a monumental understatement.  First, and from my perspective, they are comfortable!  No hunching over.  No sore neck.  No terminal ass issues.  Just comfortable.  Unfortunately, since few are sold they are also very expensive; $700+ used and $1200 and up new.  That's a bit overmuch for my blood.  So I've decided to try building one.  Unfortunately since I don't know how to weld and don't own welding equipment building the frame out of metal is not an option. So, after a bit of web searching, I've decided to build a wooden frame recumbent bike!  It's a bit unusual (read nuts) but I do know how to work wood and have the tools to do so and believe it or not, wood is actually not any heavier than metal if properly fabricated.  So I've begun the effort.

Here's the overall layout and some reference photos.

First effort at layout

Reference photo.  I'll use under seat steering and a front derailleur.
To do this I've bought a 20" kids bicycle for $15 and stripped the frame for parts: 2 wheels, front and rear brakes, head tube, and crank.  Here are the parts so far:
20" wheels from kids bike.  Rear has 6 speed freewheel.  They are a bit heavy but will work OK as prototypes.

Frame.  Will cut head tube to salvage steering and crank to salvage.  The rest of the frame is scrap.
I may need to use an intermediate gear cluster since the rear 6 speed doesn't give the gearing I'd like.

I'm in the process of trying to find a rear hub and free hub body for this purpose.  I'll need to take the freehub body apart and remove the pawls so the hub can spin freely and serve as a drive component.  I've got a couple I'm working on but need to find a tool to dissemble them.

No comments: