Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Geocaching - Acton conservation lands

Another lovely fall day to be outside and about.

Voted in that spurious democracy created by the Republican and Democratic parties. Please dear god, can we get "none" on the ballot so the parties would be forced to run candidates that represent citizens not vested interest with lots of money for campaign contributions! While you're about it, how about only letting people that can vote in an election make campaign contributions concerning that election! Wishful thinking and naive, I know, but a hell of a good idea.

Flame off!

Anyway I went out afterward to do a bit of geocaching. There's an area in Acton that seemed interesting and had three caches so today seemed like a good day to go investigate.

On the way over I was buzzed by a crane (bird)! I've never seen one in flight from less than 20 feet and was surprised by how big they are. Unfortunately, no picture. But a treat none the less.

Here are the caches I visited today.  I parked on Spring Hill Rd.  If I was going to do this area again I'd park on Wheeler Lane instead.  I'd also print the trail map as the trails are very confusing with three different trails blazed yellow.

ACL Series: Camp Acton 02 November 2010 11:24:00 Nice area with some picknic benches in the woods.  Cache is a clever hide but clue helps a lot.  Left the Ice Rose geocoin.  TFTC/SL.
ACL Series: Spring Hill 02 November 2010 11:58:00 More nice walking over confusing trails and a bit of bush whacking lead to the cache along, what else, one of the yellow trails.  It was a quick find.  Good clue.  TFTC/SL/TNLN.
Nashoba Brook Cache 02 November 2010 12:13:00 Since I was in the area I hiked/bush whacked to this cache.  Had a bit of GPS bounce here but found in an obvious hide with the aid of a good clue.  TFTC/SL/TNLN.

This is a lovely area and the caches are fairly kid/family oriented though the walk might be a bit difficult/long for short legs.  There were several people walking friendly dogs.  All in all a great day.

As usual I took pictures/videos.  If you want to see the videos you need to click through to Picasa.

No comments: