Friday, October 31, 2008

4788 Info

I've been looking at 4788 info on the Bayliner Owners site and bumped across this useful bit of stuff.

When I was looking for a larger boat I inspected 50 plus boats all over the world. I ended up with a 1995 4788, 310 Hino power. I’ve never regretted it.

Like Smitty says you need to look at the boat with your prospective use in mind.

Beyond getting a good surveyor.

As an old time boater you know access to engines, pumps, tanks etc. on any boat can be challenging. The 47 is normal in that regard. Most of my complaints about my boat are the lack of adequate access panels for maintenance. I think it’s an industry wide disease.

Personally, I like the galley level with the salon so when your cooking your not isolated. The Princess Electric stove, in my opinion sucks. It was designed to keep the pots and pans from sliding off when the boat moves. If its that rough we don’t cook. Biggest problem is you can’t get a large pan directly on a burner. Not counting the Admiral and I hate to cook on electric. This is a very fixable problem and many people change out the elect for gas and better designed cook tops. The galley layout is very work friendly.

Engine access is a bit tight. Better then some I’ve been on and worse then others. One nice addition that some have done is to open up an additional panel in the salon floor between the engines. The stair access isn’t bad if you’re not too big. If you pop down to check oil or open seacocks you need to wear knee pads or put down some carpet or other padding between the engines.

I suggest you crawl down between the engines to see for yourself.

Genset access is also a bit hard. I have the Westerbeke 12.5 KW. To check oil I have to pull the top panel and lay down to reach the short dipstick. This is not unique to this boat model, just one small irritation.

The bed in the main stateroom is another thing some people don’t like with the 45/47 design. You have to climb up into it. Personally I don’t mind, I sleep better on the boat then anywhere else. I prefer a little inconvenience getting in and out of bed to wasting all that boat space on an aft cabin with a full bed. I like the open space in the salon vs an open bedroom.

The guest stateroom bed is longer and narrower then a standard bed. I have a friend that’s 6’ 5’’. He says it the only bed he’s ever slept in that his feet didn’t hang off the end. Main complaint here is some people knock their legs when turning over.

The bunks are bunks. I’ve slept in them and prefer not to. Great for kids or small people. My 26 year old daughter does fine in the lower one, but she’s 5’2” and 105 pounds.

The sump pump for the aft shower is a bit noisy. Try it.

Handling is great, I operate alone sometimes and it’s no problem to get to side lines or back to the cockpit quickly.

I would suggest you try all the beds, step into the showers, open all the doors, drawers, and panels you see. Look under the mattress at the storage areas. This boat has a lot of storage space. I carry a good 1000 pounds of junk I don’t need. Look for water stains. I think everyone has had water leaks. If it had leaks that weren’t addressed right away you may have dryrot in the corner panels or light valance’s in the salon. My surveyor didn’t catch this on mine, I did.

Buy it you’ll like it.

No comments: