Friday, October 22, 2010

Took my new bike out for a test ride

I guess I'm now the kid with the new toy so I took a ride on my new bike. I'd wanted to try riding the abandoned RR path over to the Assebet so since BB was working today it seemed like a good way to test out the bike.

I'd found that you can get to the abandoned RR tracks from the end of our street so I rode down, cut through a neighbor's yard and walked over to the tracks. Riding on the path besides the RR tracks was generally fairly good though there were places where walking was required. I was able to get over the the Sudbury Valley trustee land without going on streets and then over to the Assebet reservation via various woods roads and trails. It wasn't fast but riding in the woods in the fall was certainly lovely.

The bike worked well and I'm very happy with it. I'll probably add a suspension seatpost and perhaps change the saddle but overall I couldn't be more satisfied. The suspension worked well and generally made the ride easier particularly over roots in the trail. That said, I can now understand the appeal of full suspension since some of the roots were a bit rough on my bum.

Here are the photos from today. As usual click through if you want to see the videos.

When I got home I noticed that the bike has Presta style valve stems so I'll have to buy an adapter so I can put air in. I may look at suspension seat post as well.

No comments: