Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bikes and cameras

BB was off today so we went to look at a mountain bike for me.  It was a bit of a hall and I almost didn't go as the bike had been raced by a pro.  As it turned out I'm very glad I did.  He had an older Cannondale professional bike that originally sold for around $1600 to which the shop upgraded the wheels, shifters, derailleurs, and brakes.  He's now riding a newer bike and sold this one for $150!  The frame fit me, everything worked, and there was no damage.  Deal done.  Don't you just love Craigs list!  Her's what it looks like.
RJB's new Cannondale mountain bike
The old cruddy yellow bag is temporary from my road bike.

As if that wasn't enough excitement, the guy was also about to sell his wife's mountain bike.  It seems four kids and mountain biking don't go together.  It was a Specialized Rockhopper.  I'm not sure what it originally cost but for $25 there was no decision.  So I bought it for BB since it is a much better bike than the one I bought yesterday for $30, it fit her very well, and everything worked perfectly.  The only drawback was the bike had no pedals.  A stop and the bike shop and $20 put pedals on it though I was somewhat put off by spending $20 for pedals for a $25 bike, but what can you do.  The bike has a high pressure road tire on it so it should go down roads and paths well.
BB's new mountain bike.
While I was taking bike photos, I took one of yesterday's $30 Giant.  It's a nice enough bike and has knobbly tires mounted.  I may strip it for parts or sell it on craigs list.
Yesterday's $30 Giant bike
Flush with two bikes we drove home in the rain.  No matter, the bike quest is nearly done.

When I got home there was a package from Amazon.  I'd ordered a funky camera stand.
The stand
The legs bend and allow you to position a camera easily.  They bend so much that they can be used to grip a bicycle handlebar!  So I thought what the heck, lets give it a try and see what happens.  It took a bit of experimentation but it works with somewhat interesting results.  To see the video you'll have to click on it.

From 2010-10-21
The video is a jerky and smears when things happen fast.  Uploading it to the web also adds a bit of degradation.  All that said, not altogether bad for a makeshift stand and an inexpensive digital camera designed to shoot stills.

I've ordered some bits to mount the camera on a helmet to see what that might be like.

All in all a busy and fun day.

No comments: