Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bike ride in Assabet

I found a couple of biking/hiking websites that are interesting - www.railstotrails.org and www.traillink.com. They have an association with Google to provide GIS data for biking trails. Since the Assabet has some fair bike trails I submitted a new trail to them. I got a nice note back so it should eventually find its way into Google maps. Before it does I'll need a GPS track for the trail. So today I decided to ride the outer loop and record a GPS track.

It was a good day to be out. I drove over to the refuge. The new bike rack works great. The ride went well. Surprisingly along the way on a work day I met several other riders. Some were very fit and passed me as though I was walking.

When I got to the NW corner of the refuge I took a short detour on White Pond Rd down to the Assebet River. It was really lovely. While there I met a chap coming out of the woods road that runs S along the river. We chatted for a bit. It turned out that we shared a number of interest and he invited me down to the air strip along the Assabet.

I continued the ride and recorded the entire track which I can helpfully use with TrailLink.

As usual here are the photos. No videos in this batch.

No comments: