Friday, February 26, 2010

Geochching Westborough on a Snow/Rain/Sleet Day

The weather the last couple of days has not been conducive to geocaching.  After last night's drenching rain and wind, today seemed somewhat reasonable, so I decided to visit a couple of caches in Westborough.

Cowzzzz - Found it. SL/TFTC.  I decided to start just off of RT 9 at 495 in the Walkup and Robinson Memorial Reservation.  This was a lovely park that I didn't know existed.  The walk in to Cowzzzz was brief over well trod trails that were still a bit icy in spots.  I found the cache reasonably quickly notwithstanding the hint which is no longer entirely relevant.  There was a geocoin (Tommy Trogen Helen of Troy) in the cache in several parts.  I've tried to log the coin but can not seem to find a reference.  I've sent an email to the owner asking for help.  Not snow friendly.

Looking toward GZ.

The Walkup Trader - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Went along to 'Walkup' and ended up bushwacking through open forest.  Very nice walk.  Came toward GZ from the S and saw well and cow tunnel on my approach.  Interesting.  Found GZ easily and discovered cache.  There were only a couple of TBs in it so I left them given the leave 4 TB cache advice.  Not snow friendly.

Well and stone work


'Cow' tunnel


Looking toward GZ

DALE #7 (WESTBOROUGH) - Found it.  SL/TFTC.  I've visited a number of these and while I was in the area stopped by this one.  It was interesting and I was able to quickly find it.  Not snow friendly.

Looking toward GZ

Red Mailbox - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This was nearby 'Dale 7' so I stopped by.  I parked about a block away on a side street and walked to GZ.  While there rab-bit421's mom came out to get the mail.  We chatted briefly and I found the cache with just a bit of guidance.  Not snow friendly.

Looking toward GZ

Lee's Rock - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Nice walk through open fields.  Found the cache quickly.  I attempted to continue along the trail to other caches but the trail was under over a foot of water in several places along the lake.  It was not possible to bushwack around the flooded areas so I drove over to parking on the west.  Not snow friendly.

Looking toward GZ


Oaks Along the Assabet - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  I'm surprised these caches are not more frequently visited.  There is good parking and it's an easy walk along easy trail with many good views of the lake.  Not snow friendly.

Cache down there somewhere.

Charmed By-The-Pond - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Just a bit further along the trail from 'Oaks' and a very nice hike.  There is some sign of recent damage in the area but the cache is in good shape.  Not snow friendly.

Nice view along the way.

Bridge to Nowhere - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  I drove to the other side of the lake and quickly parked and found this cache.  It was almost underwater after last night's heavy rains.  It might be prudent to move to a higher location away from the lake.

Water surrounds GZ.

Here are today's photos.  Click to see full size.

No comments: