Sunday, February 21, 2010

Geocaching 2/21/2010

Nice bright day with mild temperatures perfect for geocaching.  BB is still involved in the hospitals conversion so I went out to try several caches I've been meaning to do for some while.

HD Handyman's Hope Chest - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  I've visited this cache several times but there were always many muggles about.  Today it was relatively quite when I arrived about 9:30.  It was a quick find but not snow friendly.  The cache is in good order so I signed the log and continued along to Reservoir Runner - Scenic View.

Reservoir Runner - Scenic View - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  I'd DNFd this cache a while back and today seemed like a good day to revisit after finding HD Handyman's Hope Chest.  It was a quick walk in, about 0.25 mile each way.  Along the way I saw three large deer and considerable scat.  There was also some sign of smaller deer.  Easily found the cache today although it is not snow friendly.  The lock-n-lock container suffered some damage with one of the locking structures broken.  It may not seal properly so replacement might be in order.  Otherwise the cache is in good order so I signed the log and proceeded to Katahdin's Cache.

Katahdin's Cache - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  After finding Reservoir Runner - Scenic View I went along to try this cache.  It had been on my list for some while and today seemed like a nice day for a walk through conservation land.  This small area has a beautiful stand of birch and some mature pine.  Really very lovely.  It was a short walk, about 0.25 miles each way over easy open trails.  It took a few minutes to find the cache with GZ bouncing this way then that.  The cache is generally in good order although one of the lid locks is broken.  I signed the log and then drove over to cachebuntu.

cachebuntu - SL/TFTC.  After finding Katahdin's Cache I drove over to the trail to this cache.  I've been interested in trying it for some time but some GPS issues interfered.  Today all was well and after finding parking at N42° 28.1699' W71° 15.7677' it was a quick walk in (only about 1000') and the cache was easily found.  I took a whistle and left a key chain.

LY Daily Fix #2 - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Some days ago I'd visited this cache but could never get a muggle free moment.  Today was much better and I was able to park next to GZ and quickly grab the cache.  Nice park and grab, but only when there are no muggles about.  I took the cache container and signed the log in my car before quickly placing it back.

LY Second Addiction - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is another cache I'd tried a while back but couldn't find a muggle free moment.  Today was much easier and I was able to retrieve it, sign the log, and return it with minimal bother.

DY Daily Fix #2 - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Yet another cache I couldn't try because of muggles.  Today was much easier.  It took a bit to find it and there was considerable trouble removing it from the hide.  I finally managed and signed the log.

One Minute, Man! - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is yet another of those park and grabs I'd wanted to try but couldn't find a muggle free moment to attempt.  As I approached today another cacher from NY and his two young daughters were just signing the log.  The girls were very clear that the youngest had found three caches and the older girl four.  We chatted a few minutes and they went along to find another cache.

RBT1 - Branch Trail - SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This was my eighth find for the day.  I parked at N42° 29.0937' W71° 16.6558'.  It was a quick walk in, only about 1200'.  It took me a bit to get a stable GZ.  The hide was clever, somewhat similar to one I'd seen in Maine but with the container attached by screws instead of velcro.  I signed the log and put everything back as I'd found it.

It was a good day to be out with eight finds and almost four miles of walking.

As usual I took photos (no spoilers).  You can find them here.

No comments: