Sunday, February 28, 2010

Geocaching 2/28/2010

After yesterday's troubles with Delorme/geocaching.com/PN40 etc.  I went out today to do some caching as BB had to work on the conversion at the hospital.

Reservoir Runner - Starting Point - Found it.  SL/TFTC.  Took Obama buck and "I Want To Travel" geocoin.  Left Cache Agent 2008 Geocoin / Golden Gilda geocoin.  I've tried to find this cache several times without luck.  Today with the snow gone it was an easy find.  It's definitely NOT snow friendly.

Over there somewhere.
Took Geocoin and Obama buck.
Left Geocoin.
 
Reservoir Runner II - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is another of the Reservoir Runner's I've tried several times but had been unable to find.  Today without snow it was a fairly quick find.  While the hide is reasonably snow friendly, snow does make it much harder.
           
So many places to hide

Found it

RESERVOIR RUNNER IV, Turnaround Point - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is yet another of the Reservoir Runner caches I've had difficulty finding.  With the new cache in place and the snow gone this was a fairly quick find.  The new GZ is not snow friendly.

New location

Found it

Reservoir Runner III - DNF.  I decided to try this simple multi since things were going well.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find stage one.  There was evidence of considerable recent clearing and it may be that the the cache is no more.

Not Another Business Park Cache - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is a simple park and grab that is reasonably snow friendly.  Absent snow it was a quick find.
From 2010-02-28 Geocaching

Wilson Mill Cache - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is just across RT 3 from Not Another Business Park Cache.  So it was simple to drive across and visit this very interesting old mill site.  The cache is fairly snow friendly and a quick find.  GZ may be a bit off but the hide is fairly obvious.

Mill race

 GZ over there somewhere

Bacon, Fitch, Ashby, Clark Mill Site - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Needs maintenance.  This was near Wilson Mill Cache so I drove over.  There is a little road side parking now that the snow is gone.  The cache is almost a park and grab but not snow friendly.  The hide is interesting but with the recent wet was VERY difficult to remove.  Additionally it was rather wet.  It needs some maintenance.  The cache is not snow friendly.

Needs maintenance.

DLY #14 - On a wall - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This cache has been a real challenge for me with several visits and no find.  Parking at N42° 30.5370' W71° 16.5212' provides quick access to the trail since the fence is down there and it is only a short 1000' to GZ.  Today with the snow gone and armed with a hint from chasandmeg I finally found it.  Even so, I searched for over 30 minutes before finding it about 20' east of the posted coordinates.

Clever container.

DLY #11 - Land Locked - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Since I was caching in the area I decided to stop here.  One of the things I most enjoy about geocaching is that it takes me to places I'd otherwise not visit.  This is one such small park.  I spent some time searching for this with considerable trees and limbs down from the recent winds and snows.  After looking more closely at things I found the cache at GZ in it's very clever container.  The cache is reasonably snow friendly.

Another novel container.

DLY #12 - On a plane - DNF.  This is just a bit further along the trail from DLY #11 - Land Locked.  It was an enjoyable walk but, alas, I was unable to find the cache.  It may have been muggled again.

DLY #19 - Itsy Bitsy - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Since I was nearby I decided to try this notwithstanding the cache description warning about wet.  It was indeed wet after the recent rains.  Moreover with the recent warm weather the ground was VERY wet with many flooded areas.  I was able to bushwack in with considerable difficulty and got to GZ without getting wet.  The cache was an easy find and the container wonderfully clever.  Notwithstanding the difficult bushwack, the actual cache location is reasonably snow friendly.  Indeed, frozen ground might make it much easier to access.

Can you say bushwack through flooded marsh?

Best container I've seen

Load the Boat - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Since I was caching in the area I decided to stop here.  The cache was easily found but VERY difficult to remove from its hiding place.  There was a bit of water in the container as well.  The cache hide needs to be enlarged somewhat.

Lots of flooding

Found it

It was nice to cache in the warmer weather.  Score for the day is 10 finds and 2 DNFs.  Yea!

As usual here are the photos.

No comments: