Thursday, February 4, 2010

Geocaching in two parts

For reasons passing understanding I had a dermatologist appointment in Burlington today at 8:30!  This is surprising for two reasons.  First, Thursday is BB's day off and I try to have the day to spend with her.  Second, getting from to Burlington that time of day in traffic is NOT fun.  But needs must so away I went with a view to do a little caching after my appointment.

Here, I should note that the wages of a lifetime of sun exposure if you are fair skinned, as I am, is a visit every 6 months or so to have various bits of your hide removed.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time in the sun flying, skiing, climbing, sailing, etc. enormously and wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.  I would however note that sun block is your friend.  I'm a classic case of "to late wise, to soon old."

At any event after my doctor's visit I was going to go geocaching in the area.  Unfortunately, when I turned my PN40 on, things were not well.  Changed the batteries and tried again.  No go.  Repeat.  No go.  Leave GPS on and look at other GPSs at LL Beans.  Lots to choose from but sales people are clueless.  Go back out to the car and much to my surprise, GPS seems to have healed itself.  Decide to go geocaching.

Part one

Listing Date Log Type
Waypoint Type Back in a minute LPC 2/4/2010 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Gazebo on the green 2/4/2010 Found it Found it

Back in a minute LPC - Found it.  This is a very winter friendly park and grab near LL Beans. I tried up the wall before realizing that it had to be lower.  Quickly found. SL/TNLN/TFTC

Gazebo on the green - Found it.  A quick drive around the stores with winter friendly parking in a lovely gazebo.  Another park and grab.  Noticed the container from the entry to the gazebo.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

I was going to drive over and try Tucked in for New Years.  GPS is reinitializing and won't find satellites.  Frustrating as all was well yesterday.  Decide to go home.

On way home GPS decides to work again.  Decide to try a couple near Hanscom Field.  Get off on Rt 4 and head toward first cache.  GPS has another nervous breakdown.

Give up.  Drive home and call Delorme.  Short wait but got helpful human.  Far out.  A bit of magic reinitialized the satellite data and to quote the move "it's alive, it's alive!"

Part 2

BB and I decide to go for walk and try to find a couple of caches Nobscot Reservation.  I've been saving Ford's Folly to do with BB as I think she'll find it interesting.  Also I've got A Stitch in Time TB that want's to go to an interesting place.  Ford's Folly qualifies so off we go to find:

Listing Date Log Type Actions
Waypoint Type Ford's Folly 2/4/2010 Found it Found it Compose Log | Delete Note
Waypoint Type Nobscot Breeder Cache 2/5/2010 Didn't find it Didn't find it Compose Log | Delete Note

Ford's Folly  and Nobscot Breeder Cache parking is up Brimstone Lane at N42° 20.970 W71° 27.300.  The road is very narrow but plowed.  Today the parking was OK but I'm not sure if it is plowed or not.  At any event we parked and off we went.

Nobscot Breeder Cache - DNF.  It's only about .3 mi from parking to GZ for stage one.  There were a couple of places with some VERY SERIOUS ice from recent seasonal springs but these were relatively easy to bypass.  Got to GZ quickly but despite hint we DNF.  There was 5" or 6" of crusty snow on everything and about 1" of new snow.  We looked but had no luck.  I wasn't overly worried because I thought I had a fair idea of where the final cache was located so we continued down the trail.

Ford's Folly - Found it.  It's an easy walk the rest of the way on well trod trails.  This is a neat site.  Who knew?  Got to GZ quickly after a bit of a detour to avoid some slick hillside and found the cache without much trouble.  Deep snow would make this a tough find.  Left A Stitch in Time TB after photographing TB with dam.  SL/TFTC.

Checked out where I thought stage 2 of Nobscot Breeder Cache was.  Today there was about 4" of water flowing out so I did not attempt to enter.  Could be I've the wrong place or the wrong end?  BB was getting cold so we headed back.  Along the way we checked stage 1 again but no luck.  We'll try again when the snow is gone.

After we got home BB and I spent a bit of time in the steam room/shower and warmed up.  All in all a good day.

No comments: