Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Geocaching #98, #99, and #100! Framingham and Sudbury

Out geocaching today to get my 100th cache find.  Here's the adventure.

Waypoint Type Return to Tradition #8: Henry's Hill Hybrid 2/2/2010 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type X marks the spot 2/2/2010 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Nobscot Mt 2/3/2010 Found it Found it

Thanks to INEZ36 and KASHK9 I realized that "Return to Tradition #8" and "X marks the spot" were now accessible.  I'd wanted to do these for a bit but winter parking has been an issue.  So I drove by and saw that it was now possible to park one car at N42° 20.4840' W71° 27.9070'.  There is only room for one car here.  It might be possible to park on the side street just a bit north.

#98 - Return to Tradition #8: Henry's Hill Hybrid - After yesterday's 8 miles of walking my legs were a bit tired so I decided to go up the hill to "Henry's Hill" first while I still could go up hill.  This is a lovely area and a very pleasant walk with temperatures in the high 20s, little wind, and bright sun.  I followed the tracks and quickly got to the cache.  It's an interesting hide and I quickly found it within 20' or so of GZ.  Deep snow could be an issue when searching for this cache but today wasn't a problem.  The cache is in good shape.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

#99 - X marks the spot - I decided to loop around to "X."  Part way down I got to some abandoned farm equipment.  It was a seeder I think and realized that I was walking away from the cache.  Since the forest was relatively open I just bushwacked toward the cache and eventually rejoined the trail.  This took me by the source of the rocks mentioned in the cache description.  Just a bit of searching revealed the cache.  As with most such caches, deep snow would be an issue.  The cache is in good shape.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

I went to checkout parking for Abandoned and Crazy Callahan Climb as I've wanted to do these for a bit.  There is allegedly trail head parking along Edmunds Rd.  I don't think it would work even in the summer.  I also drove west to the Harvard Facility.  This looks like an attractive option.  There was also some so so parking along the road toward there.

One of the things I wish cache owners would really do is think about parking particularly in the winter.  It would also be helpful to note if the cache is reasonably winter accessible.  Just a POV.

Having found some possible parking for a future adventure I headed out to #100.

#100 Nobscot Mt - I've been saving this and the nearby Ford's Folly for something special.  Number 100 seemed special enough and with the recent warm weather and snow melt Brimstone Lane, the road up, was easily navigated.  Instead of parking at the state park area I continued to the summit where in good weather there's reasonable parking in several areas.  I parked at N42° 20.7738' W71° 26.9737' off the side of the turnaround at the summit.  From there it's only about 500' to GZ, almost a park and grab.  I bushwacked in over crunchy snow direct to GZ.  Just a little searching found the cache.  I picked up another travel bug, C-3PO, that I'll move along on my long delayed trip to Rhode Island.  The cache is in good order.  Deep snow would make the find difficult but on a day like today is was easy enough.  SL/TFTC.

With my 100th find I went home, had a celebratory drink, and began planning the Rhode Island trip so I can move along the travel bugs.

As usual, I took photos, no spoilers.

No comments: