Friday, February 19, 2010

Geocaching - Some DNFs on a sunny day

It's been a couple of days since I was out caching.  Today's bright sun and mild weather seem perfect for finding a few geocaches. 

I started with The Great Wall of Kay? which I DNFed a while back but was recently found.  Easy find today in a place I'd checked twice previously!  Today it was there.  While there is good plowed parking here the cache is definitely NOT snow friendly.  I had a bit of trouble getting the lid off but finally managed.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

Flushed with success I drove to the nearby Wayland's Alpine Field which I have visited a couple of times without success.  Still none today.  Given the number of other DNFs I suspect it's muggled.  I'll post a note to the owner and see what happens.

The Leprechaun Coin Cache is just a short drive from 'Alpine' so I quickly went over.  Today the river was down a couple of feet and the cache was accessible.  Yea! I struggled a bit getting the cache lid off.  Signing the log was also a challenge with the wind whipping by.  I finally got it signed and got it back into the container.  Snow is not an issue for this cache but water level is.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.

BB and I had tried Curling Cache a while back.  It's been recently found so since I was nearby I decided to visit again.  With most of the snow gone it was an easy find.  The cache was a bit damp and smelled slightly moldy however the log was dry.  SL/TNLN/TFTC. 

I wanted a bit of a walk and Snake Brook Cache was just down the road.  There is good plowed parking.  The trails are well trod but with the recent snow were a bit icy today.  Just a short lovely walk (about 0.3 miles) to the cache.  It was easily found today aided by twilighter tracks.  SL.  Took Crawford geocoin.  Left Winter Olympic Coin.  TFTC.

It was getting to be lunch time so I headed home and along the way stopped at Wayland11.0-You suggest I do WHAT optional task?!?.  Like BigDaddy23 I'd hoped for a different optional task.  Since it seems unlikely I decided to put my esteem at risk and log the cache.  In hopes of recovering some esteem I did attempt a party for my wife's aging pugs.  As you can tell from the photo, while pugs may be very affectionate animals they are NOT party animals.  That said, I'm fairly sure they are having a good time though as sleeping seems to be their most favorite and frequent activity.  Note, as well, that these dogs are utterly uninterested in cake.  I'll leave it to the cache owner to decide if this lame effort warrants a different optional task like, say, make some 'insect rocks' for the Wayland library similar to thost at the Goodnow Library.

Drove along home and enjoyed sausages for lunch.


As usual here are today's photos.  No spoilers.

No comments: