Saturday, December 4, 2010

Geocaching: Framingham & Hudson

BB was off on a girls day with her work colleges so I decided to do a bit of geocaching.

Listing Date Log Type
Waypoint Type Stop and Cache 04 December 2010 11:33:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type Creature Hunt - Southwest Shoreline 04 December 2010 12:24:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type OLD FARMER 04 December 2010 15:13:00 Found it Found it
Waypoint Type TE #4 - Stone Challenge 04 December 2010 15:13:00 Didn't find it Didn't find it




Stop and Cache TFTC/SL/left geocards/took Plaster Bug
I've been meaning to stop here for some while and since I had to drive by I decided to stop.  Was about to give up when I finally found it.  It had fallen back into the hide and was a bit hard to remove; big hands aren't always an advantage.  Cache in good shape.  Lots of muggles but they were so busy that no one seemed to take note.

TE #4 - Stone Challenge TFTC
I'd tried this once last winter in the snow but DNF even after an interesting climb over the snow bank left by the plows.  Thought today would be easier.  With no snow I could move about much easier.  Unfortunately, still DNF despite what I though was a rather through examination with a flashlight a couple of feet up and down along the wall.  Perhaps some kind soul can provide a bit of help.

Creature Hunt - Southwest Shoreline TFTC/SL/TNLN
On the way home from Stone Challenge so I stopped and parked along the road.  I wish the gate was set back from the road as there is plenty of room to park beyond it and the area is lovely.  In any case it was a quick walk in and an easy find though the GPS was bouncing all over the place.  No creatures but a really spooky creaky sound from the swaying trees.  Among the old stone foundations the noise gave a bit of pause and motivated a quick find.  Cache in good shape.  Not winter friendly so I'm glad I stopped today.

OLD FARMER TFTC/SL/TNLN
What can I say, interesting and the basis for a new Bell's Geocaching Law; never, never, never bushwhack in an old cranberry bog.  Really, NEVER. There are trails but none seemed to be going in the right direction from parking so foolish me I bushwhacked.  Not good.  Finally got to trail going in the right direction and quickly got to GZ.  Quick find but definitely not winter friendly.  Hiked out on a trail, more or less, with the trailhead at N42 19.8587 W071 32.0795.  It's rather hard to see but just a few feet N or the remains of a concrete water control gate.  Also there's parking just a bit N of the fishing parking on the E side of the road.

As usual here are all today's photos.

2 comments:

Puff said...

Note from Bob about old farmer:

hi sorry about the bushwacking to find old farmer cache The creator of this find should leave better parking directions to get seekers off to a good start on the trails. The area was actually the old marlboro sewer beds years ago not a defunct cranberry bog. This was of course before there were any private homes in the area. the fields are now home to a coyote pack the roams at night and howls quite loudly while hunting,a somewhat scarey sound that awakens us late at night since our home is very close by. bob

Puff said...

Thanks for the information. I'm a bit surprised about the sewer beds since the adjacent Sudbury Reservoir was a drinking water supply and dates back to 1876 or so I think. The berms are certainly needlessly large for cranberries though and on thinking about it there should have been cranberry bushes in the fields, not just the berms. I thought the bushes on top of the berms were cranberries but I'm not botanist so don't really know. There were a couple of apple trees on top of the berms so I thought it might have been a farming operation though with apples so common finding a wild tree is unsurprising.

I suspect that there are trails off to the left as you climb the hill that loop around to GZ. It's a shame that there isn't some sort of map or better directions from parking.