Monday, December 13, 2010

Boston Globe - YOU'RE FIRED

Sometimes I wonder, I really really wonder about companies and what they might be thinking when it comes to dealing with customers.  Herein a true account of the Boston Globe and why I finally broke down and fired them today.

First a bit of prologue.  I've been reading the paper since I was 9 or 10 years old.  I'm now 66.  It's fair to say it's a lifetime habit.  BB and I enjoy getting up a bit late on Sunday and sitting in the living room in front of the fire reading the paper.  Summers we go out on the deck.  It's all a bit of a ritual.  Very relaxing and very enjoyable.

Of course, it all depends on their being a paper.  If the paper doesn't come then we have to go to the hassle of calling and getting one sent.  That's not, of course, relaxing and it rather spoils the experience.

So here's what happened.

It all started about a month or so ago though I didn't know it at the time.  It seems that the Boston Globe in what is certainly in my case a completely misguided effort to save money has decided to include their bill in the paper.  I can't imagine that this works especially well as who knows where in the paper it might be found of if the subscriber actually happens on it.  But hey, the Globe saves postage, the cost of an envelope, and the cost of stuffing the bill.  I'm not entirely sure how much it amounts to but something around $0.50 or so would be about right.

So anyway the Globe puts the bill in the paper.  I, of course, don't get it.  Not surprising since I'm not looking for it.

Move to Sunday Dec 5th. No paper.  Call the Globe.  They send one out with a courtesy copy of the Metro West Sunday paper.  All is marginally ok.  I did at least get the paper even if it was several hours late and our Sunday mourning ritual was disrupted.  Rough cost of redelivery of the paper something on the order of $4 or $5.  Globe is now behind $3.50 against cost of mailing the bill.

Now move to Friday Dec 10th.  I get an automated call saying there is an issue with the account.  Call offers to let me speak to a representative.  No problem lets talk.  Globe agent says bill sent with paper and $31.50 will make the account current through Dec 16th.  The agent emails me a copy of the bill.  Not a problem I like the paper and will gladly pay.  Rough cost of automated call and conversation with agent something like $8.  Globe now behind $11.50 against cost of mailing bill.

Like about 35% of US banking customers I pay my bills online.  So I go online and issue a payment to Glove for $63 to bring the account current and pay for another 4 months or so.  Turns out the Globe doesn't accept EFT transfers so bank has to cut check and mail it.  Bank says payment will arrive Monday the 13th.  Now I'm concerned about getting my Sunday paper on the 12th.

In an effort to avoid another disruption of the Sunday ritual I call the Globe again.  Explain situation to agent.  Agent is clearly NOT a native English speaker.  It takes a long time to sort through the matter but in the end the agent assures me not to worry the paper will come on the 12th.  Rough cost of long call with agent who's English is doubtful something like $12.  Globe now behind roughly $23.50 against cost of mailing bill.

Sunday the 12th comes.  No paper.  Call Globe again.  Deal with busy signal since the weather is a bit bad and lots of papers are late.  Six or so attempts later finally get through to automated system.  Ask for paper.  Ten AM comes still no paper.  This is the second week in a row and now I'm unhappy with the Globe.  Call again.  Speak to agent.  Explain using simple words involving no more that four syllables that they have a choice; a) get my paper in the next 40 minutes or so, or b) cancel subscription.  Agent apologizes, don't they always, and reassures me that paper will be sent over by cab.  Rough cost of another lengthy call $12.  Globe now behind roughly $25 against cost of mailing bill.  Customer now pissed.

Paper never shows.

Monday mourning the 13th the paper arrives!  Now I'm really hashed.  It's tantamount to adding insult to injury and since it's no longer Sunday it doesn't even matter.  Mind you, I'm really ambivalent about canceling since the payment has now been issued and BB and I both enjoy reading the Sunday paper but the Globe is now rather more trouble than they are worth.

Call Globe to cancel.  Takes 4 attempts to get through.  Wade through automated system to get to an agent.  Explain in very simple and direct words that I want two things: 1) cancel the subscription, and 2) refund for unused portion.  Agent really really really doesn't want to loose customer and insist on knowing why.  I'm not interested in discussing the situation and explain that in very direct language.  Agent insist.  I ask to speak to supervisor.  Am put on hold.  Agent returns.  No supervisor present.  Now I'm really getting angry since I've seen this game played before.  Explain to agent that I want the subscription canceled.  Agent offers to explain advantages of Globe subscription.  I insist that all I want is to fire Globe's sorry ass.  Agent suggest I call another number to deal with issue.  I insist that all I want is to fire Globe and get my money back and suggest that agent's options are now to either cancel and refund or I'll file complaints with Better Business Bureau and State AG's Office, then drive down to Framingham district court and file small claim to recover my money.  Agent finally agrees to cancel and refund.  At this point I wouldn't deal with the Globe if it was free.

Rough cost of this call is something around $20.  Globe now well underwater to to tune of $45 or so with no hope of ever recovering since the last agent has managed to irritate me to the point of distraction.

One can only wonder why the Globe thinks this is OK.  I know that the Globe, like most large newspapers is in financial trouble.  But really it doesn't make sense to spend $45 to save $0.50, never mind loosing yet another customer?

So no more Sunday paper at our house.  We'll read and not have to deal with the Globe's nonsense.  I'll miss the funny papers, book section, and front page but I'll learn to cope.  Even so, I'm saddened to see the Globe act in such an irresponsible way and hasten their own demise.

No comments: