Monday, November 23, 2009

Quiet Day at Home

I've been thinking about Geocaching as a retirement hobby.  After somewhat disapointing results using my Garmin Nuvi (really made for auto use but it does have Lat/Lon readout) I spent some time looking at various GPS devices.  There are three Garmins that make some kind of sense.  Top of the line is the 60CSx.  It does everything but at $248 (Amazon) is expensive.  One thing I like about it is that it would be a good device for biking, boating, or most any other use save auto.  There is a less costly Garmin the eTrec Venture HC that is half the cost but doesn't have all the features.  It also turns out that the new smart phones (either Droid or Blackberry) have good applications as well.  I'm not sure how good their receivers are but I could upgrade my phone for $50 to $100 to use them and have the advantages of a smartphone.  The Droid application GeoBeagle is particularly functional when coupled with an augmented reality application.  What I don't know is what that would do to my monthly Verizon bill.

I looked into the Tavern of the Damned cache and am now reasonably sure I know where the cache should be hidden.  I'll go back in the next several days to check.

I cooked a pork roast with roasted vegtables for dinner.  We'd been wanting a roast for some time and this was right on the mark.  Yum!

No comments: