Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Laranzato espresso machine - continued

Sadly I didn't get any more feedback from Home Barista.com.  However, the one response I got was extremely helpful. Anyway, I'm blundering along on my own.

Should I drain the boiler? - DEFERRED

For the moment I've decided not to drain the boiler and use the machine as is. I've run a fair bit of water through so it should be reasonably flushed. Likewise I'll defer descaling.

Rust on near the steam and hot water valves - SOLVED

With the machine cleaned up this appears to actually be coffee! Examination of the group head revealed that the group head gasket is hard and cracked. It probably sprayed coffee which got up into the machine. There are no signs of rust on the valves or the frame so I'm fairly confident it's coffee.

Parts sources - OPEN


I called/emailed the suppliers I'd identified. Looks like Espresso Parts is the pick of bunch. The others appear to be fairly small operations.

Drips from three-way valve - MOSTLY SOLVED

Doesn't appear to be a problem.  I'll run the machine and deal with it if it becomes an issue.

Pressure gauge - DEFERRED

I've decided to run the machine and see what happens.
  • Is 1 bar a reasonable pressure reading?
  • Is it normal for the pressure to drop to 0 when drawing 0.5 liter of hot water? The system has a 4 liter tank!
  • Is it normal for the pressure to take 5 to 7 minutes to return to 1 bar?
  • Is there normally some variation between 0.7 and 1.2 bar in the returning pressure?
  • Is it normal for the safety valve to vent a bit of steam until boiler pressure returns?
  • Is it normal for the antivacuum retaining clip to spin like a top until boiler pressure returns after dispensing 0.5 liter of hot water?
  • I may need to adjust the pressure stat. Since I'm new to this I didn't know what it was/looked like. Turns out this is it.

Pressurestat - DEFERRED

  • So now I know what it is I need to decide if it should be adjusted, to what, and how. 

Filter holder gasket - OPEN

I spoke to a service tech.  There is one but it's cooked and cracked.  I'll need to replace it.

Water source - OPEN

I've decided to plumb the machine in and will get parts from Dave if possible.

CURRENT PARTS LIST:

  • Steam wand - Looks like Espresso Parts has an after market wand at a reasonable price (<$40).  I'll talk to Dave today and see if he can help
  • Citric acid: I'm going to defer this for the moment.  
    • Amazon offers "Spicy World Citric Acid, 5-Pound"
    •  Are 1 or 2 tablespoons of citric acid per liter the correct concentration?
  • Portafilter - Espresso parts is a source or Dave may be able to help
    • Double basket
    • Double portafilter spout
    • Backflush disk
  • Group head gasket - Espresso Parts has part.  It is described as  RANCILIO GROUP HEAD PORTAFILTER GASKET - 74 X 57 X 8.2MM.  There is an aftermarket part as well described as "An economical alternative to the O.E.M. gasket. 73.5 x 57 x 8mm."
  • Water source - Freshwater Systems has John Guest parts.  Dave may be able to supply them.

CURRENT TODO LIST:

  • Continue cleaning, cleaning, cleaning - I've got the machine mostly clean but need to go over it with some solvent to remove grease.
  • Buy/acquire needed parts

No comments: