Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recumbent wood bike

I've spent several days modeling the bike to avoid building and then changing things.  Along the way I spent some time learning a bit about Blender and Librecad.  Interesting but a bit of overkill.  In the end I mocked things up with Impress.  Here's the result:

The issue with this geometry is chain routing.  To get the chain to clear the wheel and frame an idler is essential.  Here's a commercial bike that illustrates the matter:

There is, however, an alternative ... drive the front wheel.  Curzbike makes a line of such bikes.  Here's one:
By driving the front wheel a number of problems are avoided including chain routing.  A bit of web research revealed several sites for home built versions.  This is the one I more or less followed.


Since this solves a number of issues, I'm going to switch to this design.

No comments: