Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Recumbent wood bike

Spent much of the day working on the seat for the redesign.  The key here is to make sure I've good good seat measurements.

I rounded the seat edges and made a template for drilling holes to lighten the seat.  I also modified the seat testing jig to mimic the actual frame angles.

Using this test jig I was able to test the seating angles.


Here I've clamped the crank assembly to test the pedal position.



I've decided to reuse the drop outs from the previous design.



Here I've test mounted the rear wheel.


I'm generally comfortable with this redesign though it's in many ways a return to the original buckboard concept.  After the previous experiments I'm inclined to think that I was rather hasty in abandoning that design based on what I thought at the time was inappropriate seat angles.  The point behind experiments is to experiment so the effort was not entirely wasted.


No comments: