Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fire ComcastTV

So, after thinking things over I've decided to take a look at Ubuntu 10.04 since it's a stable release with XBMC support.  Since it's been around for a bit, presumably MythTV etc will also be well supported.  For the test platform, I'm going to look into my old HP desktop.

The HP desktop has a copy of Mandriva I'd used for some development work some years ago.  Sadly, it no longer books Mandriva with a disk error.  Step one is to get Mandriva going again and check what's on the disk drives.

  • Made a Ubuntu 10.04 bootable CD.
  • Booted HP machine with it.
  • Ran disk utility and found error in one of the partitions.
  • Ran gparted to repair file system.
  • Rebooted
  • Mandriva now boots OK
Next problem is that I no longer remember the password!  Step two, figure out what the password is and login to Mandriva.
OK, now what to do re Ubuntu 10.04?  Step three, look at what is on the HP mandriva install and save as appropriate.
  • A 'du /home/...' showed 118GB used.  That's a lot of DVDs.  I'm not sure any of it is important and really don't care so I'll just trash it and install Ubuntu 10.04.
  • I did discover a couple of applications that I'd like to keep so I copied them to a flash drive since dealing with creating a DVD was not clear.
  • Also noticed an unusual disk partition.  It looks like I was emulating a RAID array using partitions.  That should mean that I can keep the Mandriva install and use the old RAID partitions for ubuntu.
Step 4, install Ubuntu 10.04.
  • I've done it so often now it's easy.  Chose to overwrite Mandriva.
  • Reboot.  It looks good.
  • Reconfigure screens as I've got two monitors.
  • Update software.
  • Load proprietary driver and reboot.
  • Change Gnome background to be lighter.
  • Burn kbuntu 10.04 CD to update ubuntu with KDE desktop and some applications.
  • Make sure I can still boot XP.  I can so all looks OK.  While I've got XP up do a system update.
  • Haven't booted XP for several months.  Update Norton and scan.  Takes a long time.  Norton wanted a reboot. So we're off to the 'lets get XP up to current rev' races.  Also will need to rev up XP proper.
  • MUCH MUCH MUCH XP updates.  Let it run overnight.
  • Tomorrow I'll make sure XP is happy then return to Ubuntu.

Meanwhile, I'm checking some old, possibly bad disk on the old compaq running Ubuntu 11.04.  I noticed that I'd not finished configuring the two 160 GB drives.  Step one, finish configuring the drives.
  • Attempted to use gparted to clean things up.  Not sure of what I'm doing.  Decided to install ubuntu 10.04 from CD instead.
  • Installed ubuntu 10.04.  It occurs to me that ultimately I'm just going to install FreeNAS but I can check disk drives this way.
  • Also noted that there isn't much space in the old Compaq chassis.  Dave's old Asus desktop has a lot of space so I may move the board over and build a NAS there.
  • After much confusion, call brother Art and ask about where to install second drive in file system.
  • For tomorrow, finish installing second drive to make sure I know what I'm doing and begin to check other disk drives.
Meanwhile, realized that Dave's old asus desktop had a good disk drive.  Turns out to be a 200GB maxtor.  Since I'm trying to setup a NAS server, it should be useful.  While looking at DOAD (Dave's Old Asus Desktop) I noticed that he has much more room than any of the other chassis I have and a 300W power supply.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: