Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fire ComcastTV - almost done

I've been working the last several days on several fronts on this project:
  • I've built a new (to me) tv pc.  As I mentioned earlier I bought a motherboard, memory, processor, and a couple of disk drives.  I ordered a larger power supply and some standoffs (I was one short to mount the motherboard).  All the parts came and I spent a day building the new pc, installing Ubuntu 10.04, mythtv, xbmc, etc.  I still need to close up the case and finish a bit of configuration but all is basically working.
  • I've got Ubuntu 10.04 working well with xbmc and myth tv everywhere so I've dropped the 11.04 work since it doesn't seem to add anything.
  • I dual booted the AsusLaptop and installed ubuntu 10.04.  Works OK.  Worked on the interface to make things easier for BB to use.  Installed mythtv support in xbmc.  Works well.
  • Built a new somewhat bigger antenna.  Initial testing  shows that it is marginally more sensitive.  I've mounted it on HDHomeRun for further evaluation.
Mount 2nd hard drive in Ohio
  • Disk utility shows second drive is the Samsung 160 GB.  The partitioning is ok.  
  • Mount it to see what, if anything, is on the drive.  It looks like it has an old ubuntu on it.  Reformat drive.
  • MythTV stores its data at /var/lib/mythtv which is on sda.
  • 2nd drive mounts at /mount/sdb.  Create mythtv directory and subdirectories that mirror /var/lib/mythtv.  MythTV default would be /media/sdb/mythtv with others per /var/lib/mythtv model.
  • Edited /etc/fstab per http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux adding both /media/sdb/mythtv and a second swap partition.
Mount 1 tb network drive
  • //twopugs/nas0000/public/mythtv created.  Subdirectories created mirroring /var/lib/mythtv structure
  • Not sure what path to twopugs really is but I'm able to see it on Amazon's file browser.
  • I'll need to work this out.
To DO
  • Mount 2nd 160 GB drive and fix up place for video storage per section 9 guidelines.  Dre currently defined as /media/sdb.  Need to configure mythtv backend to use.
  • Clean up and properly configure storage directories in mythtv storage groups
  • Default web page for TV.B network drive.
  • Mount and configure 1 TB drive.
  • Configure VNC so that I can always get to the machine.
  • Setup mythnettv properly
  • Finish freenas install
  • Improve antenna
  • Setuup VNC to work without a loged on user
  • Remove passwords that popup

No comments: