Friday, July 1, 2011

Discovered DHCP reservations

Lets get clear right off the top - my networking skills are really deep in some areas but generally rather limited overall.  As I'm setting up the computers for the Fire ComcastTV project one issue I've been concerned about is machine discovery (how does each machine find the others - thus the issue with Windows 7 and XP) and IP address stability (how can I use VNC to get to the TV pc since it depends on a particular IP address).  Now it turns out that as a practical matter IP addresses in the house behave as though static.  However, it's not clear that that will be so across power outages and such.  DHCP comes to the rescue since it allows making a reservation in the DHCP server in the router for a particular IP address.  Good links here and here.

Took a moment to log into my router and set a reservation for the TV computer.  I'll do it later for other machines that need to be on a constant IP address.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: