Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fire ComcastTV - Another new computer

Picked up another new computer from Craigs list ($50):
  • ATI Radeon Sapphire X1950GT with 512 MB video card (dual DVI and TV out) 
  • Intel DG33FB motherboard with 3 gig pc800 memory with Intel Celeron 450 (single core 64 bit) 2.20GHZ/512/800/86 processor
I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with it but someone gets an upgrade.  I'll need a new power supply since this has some PCIe slots and 24 pin power.  Power requirements from http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp for a reasonable configuration is around 443W.  I'll order a 600W power supply and a couple of fans.  While I'm at it I'll order fans for Ohio.

The board also has 11 mount points.  I'll need to check the chassis I have to see if they are in fact usable.  If not I'll order a case.

Intel docs say board supports Core 2 Duo/Quad processors ($170-$200 chip upgrade).  Not worth it.

I'll need to work through the details but it looks like I can mount it in one of the old chassis with a new power supply.  Alternately, I could buy a chassis and build a really big storage server.


To DO
  • Build new system
  • Finish the tivo slide support
  • Setup mythnettv properly
  • Finish freenas install
  • Improve antenna.  Bow tie is better but could use better still.  Also consider array of fractal and large fractal.
  • Remove passwords that popup

No comments: