Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Trouble in network discovery land

After fixing the issue with Windows 7 seeing XP in the network, the problem has returned.  I've requested this hot fix again since LLTP seems gone from XP.  Aren't computers frustrating - oops, I mean fun, really I do.

MS sent me an email with this link:

KB Article Number(s): 922120
Language: English
Platform: i386
Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp4/Fix215806/2600/free/350011_ENU_i386_zip.exe)
Password:
Password Changes On:
Next Password:

This knowledge base article is also useful.  The directions in this article say in part

LLTD Responder
You can verify that the LLTD Responder is successfully installed and running.
To verify the LLTD Responder is installed and running
On a computer running Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network Connections.
Click Local Area Network Connection, click Properties, and then view the list of items used by the network connection.
Ensure that the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check box is selected.

Unfortunately, when I check it's NOT there.  Still, I can again see the XP machine from Windows 7.  Strangely MS.

No comments: