Monday, June 20, 2011

Life and Dell CPT laptop

In my ongoing efforts to resurrect some old PCs I've turned my attention to an old Dell CPT.  I know!  I know!  Old Celeron processor and all.  But hey, it's a hobby of sorts.

The first problem I encountered is that someone foolishly set a bios password!!  I don't know why people do that but it was done.  So I went on the net to see how to get past it.  Found three useful links:

  • Technical Specifications: Dell™ Latitude™ CPx H-Series/J-Series User's Guide - maintenance manual for the machine.  Doesn't tell how to reset the bios password but it does show how to take the machine apart.  That turns out to be necessary to reset the password since that involves shorting two pins on a chip underneath the motherboard.
  • Dell Latitude BIOs reset - useful set of detailed photos showing disassembly of the machine.
Thus armed I went at it.

Turned out to be an interesting experience, see my photos, and it worked!  Much to my surprise it turned out that BB had last used this machine so presumably she set the passwords!   Oh well, into each life.



Machine runs Windows 98 OK.  I'll try Puppy Linux to see it that any better.

No comments: