Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Google Map Maker adventure

Google Map Maker
GPS Visualizer

I've been playing with Google Map Maker fixing some map errors I've encountered while hiking/biking. It's interesting that Google goes to its base as a way to verify ground truth. I've corrected a couple of roads that are now only open to bikes or walking.

Interestingly the Google reviewers quickly responded to my changes and some are already approved.  Here's my first contribution currently available from Google Maps.

My first contribution to Google Maps
The green line is a new bike route courtesy of RJB
From 2011-05-17 Google Maps
One of the things I did was to offer a new bike trail that runs along the Assabett river.  I'd tried to get the the Rails to Trails folks to include it in their maps without luck.  A bit strange that as it is in their planned routes!  At any event I offered it to Google Maps and quickly got some feedback that part of the route is in the river.  Since you can't effectively ride a bike in a river clearly something is bogus.  Fortunately I have a saved GPS track of the trail so there is some sort of ground truth there.  I was able to lay this on Google Maps with GPS Visualizer.  Here's what it looks like:

GPS Visualizer GPS track overlay on Google Maps
You can also get an elevation profile that looks something like this:

GPS Visualizer elevation profile
I remember the 105.9m hill VERY well.

At any event the tool is interesting and useful.

I've sent a note to the Google reviewer offering the GPS track.  Haven't heard back yet though.


No comments: