Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Geocaching 3/3/2010

I've finally got things working again with the PN40.  What a struggle!  I ended up having to reformat user data and reload again, but at least things are back working.

This was a rather mixed day with snow, rain, snow, rain, and allegedly 2" of new snow coming overnight.  Welcome to New England weather.

I decided to do a multi today, Concord Dozen.  I don't do many of these as I prefer the instant gratification of traditional caches.  This is one of BugTracer's and he'd mentioned that it was reasonable in winter so I thought I'd have a go.

Stage 1 is just off RT 27 by the river.  You can actually drive to GZ so this part is very simple.  Once there you need a date off of the monument to get to stage 2.  While there I took a few minutes to look at the river, very flooded and walk down the old road a bit.  Interesting.  After I got back to the car I took the date and solved for the reasonably nearby stage 2.  Driving was a bit of an issue as the direct route is flooded this time of year.  I ended going back to town center to get to stage 2.

Route within SudburyYou can drive to the stage 1 monument
The river was seriously high todayThere's parking for a few cars but it could get muddy

Stage 2 is a short drive to some nearby Sudbury Valley Trustee property.  It's only a brief walk from the trailhead with some OK small car parking on the side of the road.  This is a lovely forest I'd not visited previously.  It turns out there is access from the nearby school parking lot which would have provided better parking and a somewhat longer walk.  I didn't know this until after I'd already parked on the road.  At any event it is only a short walk to the stage 2 GZ.  I found stage 2 reasonably quickly.  It's definitely NOT snow friendly.  It's also a bit rusted but I was able to get it open OK and get the coordinates for the final.
Property trail map showing parking at nearby schoolNear GZ

I drove around to the nearby school and parked.  It is only another short walk to the final over some rather hilly terrain and then into some VERY wet land where the final is hidden.  Boots of some sort are definitely called for.  Given the location I suspect it's wet year round.  I found it after only a bit of searching and some careful foot placement to get to GZ.
Cut through playground to get to trailsNear GZ things get really wet.  Boots are definitely wanted.
At first I thought it was here.  It's NOT.Perhaps over there somewhere; if you can get to it without getting wet.

This was not my usual multi-cache day but I'd had other things to attend to and didn't have a lot of time.  At any event, I've put a found next to this cache.

As usual here are all the photos.  WARNING!  I've only posted a link since there are serious spoilers here.
2010-03-03 Geocaching

No comments: