Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Geocaching 3/2/2010

After speaking with Delorme again about the Cache Register/geocaching.com issue I tried their 'fix'.  I'd tried it previously without luck but just to be sure I tried it again.  While the caches now load as caches not waypoints, the names are GCxxxx codes not the actual cache name.  Sigh!  Hopefully, there will be a fix sometime soon.

Notwithstanding the issue, I went out and had a pleasant afternoon in the mild weather.  Here's where I went.

homies - DNF.  There were signs of considerable flooding from the recent rain near GZ.  If the cache was down low it may have been washed away.  I'll put a watch on it and see if anyone else has any luck.
Parking at apartments. Some signs of flooding.

Tick Free 7 - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  This is a nice park and grab that is certainly snow friendly.
Parking looks plowed but was muddy todayVery snow friendly

Attack 01 of the Almonds - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  I'd never been to this conservation land before.  It's really charming with the stream and many interesting rock outcroppings.  This cache is a park and grab but not snow friendly and was easily found.
Yet another wonderful Sudbury Valley siteNear GZ.  Not snow friendly.

Garfield Woods - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Continuing into the conservation land this is a charming walk.  I made the mistake of bushwacking instead of staying on the blue trail.  While the walk was a bit more challenging, it did take me past some interesting rock outcrops and glacial erratics.  I had to go a bit off trail to get around some flooding on the way out.
Route I took.  Stay on blue trail don't bushwack!Found it.

Torch Tuber - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  On the way back home I stopped at this Bolton town land.  The path in goes around a lovely small pond with this cache just on the other side of the dam.  It was completely exposed and clearly visible.  I signed the log and then re-hid the cache with some additional cover material.  While the cache is easily accessed, it is not snow friendly.
Cache was completely uncoveredI added some hide material

Fyfeshire Conservation - Found it.  SL/TNLN/TFTC.  Continuing down the path from Torch Tuber and around a larger pond I quickly found the cache.  Interestingly, there was some evidence of recent beaver activity.  The cache is not snow friendly.
Recent beaver activity near GZHid it a bit better

I reconnoitered a couple of other caches on the way home.  But it was getting a bit late so I didn't stop.

Here are all the photos from today's adventures.

No comments: