Thursday, August 16, 2007

Yard - Put in new lawn

I've been trying to get this entry made for the last few days but things have been really busy.

Monday I started putting in the new lawn. Here's what things looked like when I started. Fairly sad really.

When we bought the original house there was a fair yard. But after the fire (our house burned down) and the subsequent reconstruction, the yard was in sad shape. Much of the problem was due to storing building materials in the yard during construction. There wasn't really anything that could be done since the lot is wooded.

At any event I rented a machine from Taylor rental. I'd not seen one like this previously. It had a couple of dozen rotating disk about 1 inch apart to score the soil and a seed hopper that dropped seed into the scores. Really fairly clever and MUCH easier than using anything else. The one I rented was brand new but worked well until one of the tires came off the rim. Seems they were tubeless and not properly inflated. Once that was put back on things went well.

I scored the yard in two directions then went over it twice more seeding. When I was done, I raked up the worst of the debris and started watering. Here's what it looks like now:

Since then I've been watering and watering and watering. I should know in a few days how much of the seed will grow and will post some more photo's then.

In other news, Barbara and I were suppose to go sailing with Bob and Bernadette Landry Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately the weather forecast was poor and Bob decided not to go. Of course the ACTUAL weather was wonderful. Such is the way of weather forecast. In any event we may try to get out for the afternoon Friday. We'll see.

No comments: