Thursday, November 15, 2012

Coffee Roasting 121115

I've rewired the popcorn  popper/coffee roaster so that the heating elements are on a separate AC circuit.  I've connected this to a router speed controller (Amazon RSC 9400) and tested to see what the heat output is with no beans in the roaster and fan on full.  Here are the results:
Several things of note:

  • The temperature increase is somewhat linear with the speed control setting.
  • Returning the setting to a previous value, in this case 5, returns the temperature to approximately the previous value, but it takes time for the temperature to stabilize.
The next time I roast I'll try running the fan at a more or less constant speed and controlling the roast via the temp control setting.  I'll also try things the other way around, and playing with both temp and fan speed.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: