Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Coffee Roasting At Home - 121031

I've made a new chaff collector by cutting out both ends of a tin can, drilling a 2" hole to fit over the glass chimney, and attaching 2 bags made of wire window screen (one to each end of the can).  I also punched a hole for the temperature prove positioned so that the probe rest about 1.25" above the roasting bottom.  Here's what it looks like:


The wire bags should provide plenty of surface area for chaff collection.  They can be emptied by using a vacuum.  The bags are attached with an outside twisted wire loop.  I also taped the assembly with high temperature aluminum tape, not the stuff that failed.

There is a trick to forming the bags.  I folded the wire seam over itself a couple of times so the portion given to fraying is inside the fold.  Then simply use a stapler to 'bind' the seam.  What it lacks in pretty it makes up for in quick/easy/effective.

I also added some twine as an insulated handle to the glass chimney in case I need to remove it to dump the beans for cooling.  My current cooling plan is to turn off the head and run the fan for 4 minutes on full.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: