Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Coffee Roast at Home - Part 3 121030

I've continued to work on coffee roasting at home.

After my initial roast, I decided to modify my popcorn popper as described in here and particularly here.  Here's what I've done.

Here's the machine unmodified.

Step 1: Take the machine apart and verify the wiring prior to modification.

Bottom held on by 4 small philips head screws.

Unmodified wiring.

Motor base.  AC, ~17v in with diodes to turn to DC.


Popper internals.  White part is base holding fan.  Central black part holds heating elements.  Top silver part directs hot air up.  Assembly held together with 4 screws.

Schematic.  Note two heating elements with 40 ohm element in series with motor.

Heating element on base

Heating element removed from base

Top of popcorn roasting chamber.  NOTE: This is not the kind of recommended roasting chamber and is said to pose a fire hazard.  So far I've not had any issues.

Step 2: Make the modifications.

After taking the wire nuts off, I rewired with independent circuits for each of the two heaters and a third circuit for the motor. 
Used a cable tie as stress relief.
 Step 3: Make the control box.
Used a large work box to hold the controls.
Cut the unwanted tabs off and drilled a small hold for AC to the controls.
 This is the schematic I worked off of.

I was able to find AC switches with a built in red/green indicator light at Radio Shack.  The schematics on the part bag are a bit confusing.  L/N are an international standard for line/neutral.
Part 275-0021, 16A, 125VAC

Mounted everything on a small board with  transformer external (a bit of testing showed that the transformer  got somewhat warm).

Components mounted and wired.  There is a fair bit of wire so having a large box was helpful.
 That's it for the basic modifications.  I also decided to replace the plastic top that came with the popcorn popper with a glass oil lamp chimney and provide a temperature probe to monitor roast temperatures.

Glass chimney and probe.
I made a sheet metal collector for chaff with a screened section to vent smoke.  This didn't work (see below).
Time to test.
100 g of beans

Setup under stove hood
The roast went well as I controlled temperature by pulsing the heaters.  Here are the results.


All in all things worked OK.  Here's what I've learned.

  • The fan will run much faster.  DC voltage across the unmodified motor was 17v.  After modification it was 25v.  The motor had some part information on it but I was unable to actually read it.  I suspect that it is a 24v DC motor and am hopeful that it will operate ok as modified.
  • I'm a bit uneasy about switching the heaters on/off.  My concern is the physical stress this might create in the heater elements.
  • I need a roasting PLAN!  Now that I have control of the heaters and fan I should have some idea of what I want to do by way of a time/temperature profile.
  • The chaff collector didn't work well.  There were several issues.  The aluminum tape, really paper tape with an aluminum backing, failed.  The screen area, about 6 square inches became clogged and chaff blue out of the sheet metal seams.  I clearly need a better chaff collector!








Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: