Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Laptop v. wireless mouse


Technology is determinant but often still rather unexpected and just plain strange.  Case in point my Sony Vaio VGN-FW370J laptop and Logitech 305 wireless mouse.  I rather like the laptop and the mouse.  When I bought the mouse I plugged in the USB xmit/rcv and presto all was well.  Indeed, things worked so well that I bought a second Logitech mouse for the TV computer!  Many months later the laptop mouse quit working!  Bummer!  Other USB devices worked OK, but not the mouse.

What to do?  A bit of investigation, not enough as it turned out, suggested it was the USB xmit/rcv so I bought a replacement.  No joy!  Still surprisingly other USB devices seemed to work.  Tried the Logitech USB mouse from the TV computer that I knew worked fine.  No joy.  So I did a bit of web searching and found this post.

So I unplugged the laptop and removed the battery, waited a bit, replaced the battery, rebooted, reconnected the Logitech 305 wireless mouse and presto, all is now well.

Clearly technology can be unexpected and just plain strange.

No comments: