Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tuesday Snow, Wednesday Snow, Thursday dig out!

Well, we've got snow.  Lots and lots and lots of snow.  Tuesday brought about 8" then another 6" or 8" of snow/sleet/freezing rain Wednesday!  Chris, our current plow guy, didn't get by until after BB got home so I had to do the driveway using friend Toro (my snow blower) to clear it and get her up the hill.  I'm a bit unclear on the concept of paying someone to plow and then having to use my snow blower so just now Chris is flirting with a bigger snow blower as an alternative.

Thursday was dig out day.  I cleared about 5' of snow away from the mailbox so we'll still get deliveries.  I tried to bring the snow blower up the the second floor via the front decks but that was a no go because the front walk is under about 4' of snow.  I ended up bringing it in through the garage then BB and I carried it up the inside stairs.  It took about 45 minutes to do the driveway deck since the snow needs to go over the ends now and not into the driveway.  I've not bothered with the front door decks or the east deck.

I'm a bit concerned about the snow on the roof.  There have been a fair number of commercial flat roof collapses and we've now bot about 3' of snow on our roof.  I've also got some serious ice dams but so far no leaks.  I'd really like 3 or 4 days of warm to get some of the roof load gone.  I was able to break off most of the icicles but they are just forming rather quickly so that is now an every other day job.   If we get one more big storm I'm going to have to do something though I've no real enthusiasm for going up on the roof.

BB and I got out to the library and ran errands today.  The secondary roads are not good with most down to 1.5 lanes and covered in 4" to 6" of snow.

Midst all this there is another storm coming Saturday.  Thankfully it's predicted to be a fairly small storm.  Lets hope.

No comments: